Monday, July 9, 2012

The Blame Game

Time to take it back to elementary school! Remember when we would get in trouble, but we always had an excuse as to why it was someone else's fault but ours? We got in trouble, and eventually we learned to accept responsibility for our actions, right? Well I'm sure we would like to believe that, but the truth is sometimes we still act like the kid in 3rd grade pointing the finger at our classmates. Everything that happens to us in life, we are responsible for. Our failures, shortcomings, and mistakes are all things that are under our control. For example, If one of your friends hooks you up with someone to date and things don't turn out very well, then who are you going to blame? You can't blame your friend or the person you were dating because it was you who agreed to date that person. Just like in your career, if you don't reach your goal what/who can you blame it on but yourself? You can't go around saying things like "it was so and so's fault that I'm not where I want to be! They held me back!", because the truth is that person didn't physically tie you down and force you not to be productive. I've been through that before when I use to do phone sales when I lived in L.A. Every week I had a sales quota I had to meet, and often times I'd deal with a lot of irate people on the phone that would make it difficult for me to make a sale. But I couldn't blame it on the customer for not buying into what I was trying to sell them because I could've easily given the lead up and have someone more skilled call them back and re-pitch them, and the person would buy it from them. I soon realized that it had nothing to do with them. If I didn't make a sale it was my fault, and I had to take responsibility when the 6 week averages of our sales came up for review. Even if you don't know where you went wrong, and it technically wasn't your fault, it's still not a good look to point the blame at other people. No one is perfect, including yourself, so it's not fair for you to judge them and try to call out their failures. Furthermore, there will be times when we have to take the blame for someone else's mistakes, and when that happens you have to take it in stride and plot for a better outcome next time something like that happens. Life isn't fair, and sometimes we just have to roll with the punches. So keep on rolling and be the bigger person. In the end, it will only build your character and make a better you!


To join the Sleep is 4 Suckers movement and purchase your Sleep is 4 Suckers gear Click Here!
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @martacious and Sleep is 4 Suckers  @sleepis4suckers  and @si4s

No comments:

Post a Comment